Followers

Thursday, July 2, 2009

An Email From Rick Santorum

So I recently was doing a bit of stumbling upon feminist sites, and came across this beauty:

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2008/08/and-now-an-important-message-from-rick-santorum/

The story doesn’t really need much commentary; that was covered by the guy who received the email. However I would like to comment on the sudden realization which hit me when I read this. Why is it that conservatives think that liberals want to impose our beliefs on them? I believe it is because they want to impose their beliefs on us, and so think that that is everyone else’s agenda as well. I can respect the fact that someone thinks gay marriage is immoral, even though I disagree with it. However, other people being gay and getting married isn’t going to affect you. No one is asking them to come to their gay wedding or hop into bed with them. So we liberals aren’t asking for anything that should affect conservatives. So why do they think we are trying to “punish” them or force them to agree with us? It’s because they think we have to agree with them. Because they think that they should be able to make moral decisions for us, they think we are trying to make moral decisions for them. It’s a vicious cycle of bigot fuel creating more bigot fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment